Campus Life Experience Requirements
Beginning with the 2022 – 2023 school year and the implementation of the new IDEAs in Action curriculum, the Campus Life Experience (CLE) is required for new undergraduate students (first year and transfer). Full-time students are required to attend at least two CLE events for each fall and spring semester. Part-time students are required to attend at least one CLE event for each fall and spring semester. Summer school and Maymester have no CLE requirements. Study Abroad students achieve their CLE requirements by completing their semester of study abroad.
Finding CLE Events
CLE events include, but are not limited to, on-campus organized activities, such as performances, talks, panels, workshops, and more. All CLE events are registered through the Heel Life - CLE Events page. Or, follow these steps:
- Visit heellife.unc.edu.
- Select the Events tab to explore opportunities and filter by keywords, themes, categories, and perks.
- Under Categories, select Campus Life Experience to limit events that are CLE eligible.
Note: Only events with the Campus Life Experience category tag are eligible to fulfill CLE requirements.
Checking Attendance at CLE Events
Students must confirm their attendance at CLE events by methods such as scanning a QR code displayed at the event, scanning your OneCard, manual paper entry check-in, or using a link associated with a virtual event. Proof of attendance can be found by visiting Heel Life, selecting your profile link in the upper-right corner, and choosing Event History.
Note: RSVPing or Pre-registering for an event on Heel Life does not fulfill the submission requirements.
Submitting CLE Student Form
After attending a CLE event where your attendance was registered, you must complete the Campus Life Experiences Submission form.
Keeping Track of CLE Progress for Graduation
CLE progress is tracked through the student's Tar Heel Tracker (THT) on ConnectCarolina. After completing the CLE submission form, it will be sent to The CLE Team for review. Once the form has been approved, The THT will reflect any changes two business days after all requirements and approvals have been completed.
Variations and Exceptions for CLE Requirements
There are some exceptions for CLE requirements as noted below and these are reflected in the TarHeel Tracker for these unique scenarios:
- If a student enrolls in a 9th or 10th semester, no additional CLEs are required.
- Participating in a semester-length study abroad (fall or spring) will satisfy the 2 CLE requirement. Participating in a year-long study abroad (fall and spring) will count for 4 CLEs.
- Part-time students: every 15 credits earned through part-time studies will count as one term in residence, requiring 2 CLEs.
- Seniors approved for an underload are not required to complete 2 CLE events that semester.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]
Please note: The CLE support team operates Monday - Friday from 9 am-5 pm