Congratulations to all the previous Student Affairs Award winners!
1) Student Affairs Campus Partner Award
The Campus Partner Award recognizes an outstanding (1) faculty and (2) staff member or department, outside of Student Affairs, who has made significant contributions to student development and learning as demonstrated through collaboration, involvement and partnership(s) with Student Affairs. The recipient enhances the mission of Student Affairs and goes beyond occupational requirements – through guidance, mentorship, advocacy and/or advising; promoting leadership, personal responsibility and self-governance; and, fostering an environment of inclusivity and appreciation for all – to enhance students’ experiences at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Recipient 2013-14: Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs;
- Recipient 2014-15: Belinda Locke;
- Recipient 2015-16: Cassidy Johnson, Carolina Women's Center;
- Recipient 2016-17: Dr. Gloria Thomas, Carolina Women’s Center;
- Recipient 2017-18: Christopher Faison;
- Recipient 2018-19: Maria Erb;
- Recipient 2019-20: Office of Waster Reduction and Recycling;
- Recipient 2020-21: Carolina Dining and Aramark: Desmond Scott, Kelli Wood, Bruce Eckmeder, and Scott Myers.
2) Student Affairs Campus Collaborator Award
The Student Affairs Collaborator Award recognizes a staff member, department, or group within Student Affairs that has successfully partnered with colleagues inside and/or outside Student Affairs to design and implement new or enhance existing programs, activities, and/or services that enrich the Carolina student experience, further student learning, advance inclusion and accessibility, and/or optimize campus resources.
- 2013-14 Recipient: Brian Papajcik;
- 2014-15 Recipient: Angel Collie;
- 2015-16 Recipient: Student Affairs Professional Development Committee: Members:Emily Gaspar(Chair), Jess Evans, Jacquie Gist, Reggie Hinton, Brittany O'Malley, Aisha Pridgen, Megan Van Heiden, and Kate Kryder;
- 2016-17 Recipient: LDOC HeelFest Planning Committee: Caress Roach (Co-chair), Charla Blumell (Co-chair), Liz Walz, Kyle Harmon, Brian Lackman, Zach Durham, Austin Gold, Amy Holway, Travis Broadhurst, Maelin Harris, Shanoya Conner, Lakethia “Keke” Jefferies, April Callis, Emily Hooks, Rachel Tates, Cherie Michaud, Jaci Fields, and Gelly Arnold;
- 2017-18 Recipients: Campus Health Eating Disorder Team – Annie Penrose, Lydia Miller, Tom Brickner, Alyssa Fredricks, Katie Gaglione, Kelsee Gomes, Rachel Manor;
- 2018-19 Recipients: Accommodations and Modifications Committee – Thevy Chai, Hoi Ning Ngai, Kathryn Sorensen, Debbie Ingersoll, Melissa Saunders, Charletta Sims Evans, Sarah Naylor, Kristen Rademacher, Lara Gerrard, Steven Wiley, Kelli Wood, Katherine Moore;
- 2019-2020 Recipient: Shahnaz Khawja;
- 2020-21 Recipient: Stephenie McIntyre and Sarah Levine.
3) Awards of Distinction in Student Affairs
This award recognizes up to four individuals in Student Affairs each year. Nominations are strongly encouraged across the various employee classifications (i.e., EHRA, SHRA, or graduate students). The Awards of Distinction recognizes outstanding contributions by Student Affairs staff members on behalf of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the UNC-CH Student Affairs organization.
- 2013-14 Recipients: Lauren Mangili, Maureen Windle, Aviv Sheetrit, and Adrianne Gibilisco;
- 2014-15 Recipients: Debbie Bousquet and Doris Martin;
- 2015-16 Recipient: Christy Dunston, University Career Services and Crystal King, Carolina Union;
- 2016-17 Recipient: Dr. Myrlin Murphy, CAPS; José Cedillos, Carolina Union; Krista Prince, Carolina Housing; Womxn of Worth Initiative (Erica Wallace, Angelica Matos, Theresa McKire, Carla Rodriguez, Clare Counihan, Shelly Gist, Devetta Holman, Dawna Jones, Kate Kryder, Maria Erb, Ada Wilson, Gloria Thomas, and Bettina Shuford);
- 2017-18 Recipients: Amy Leach - CAPS, Charles Streeter - SAIT, Steven Wiley – Carolina Housing, and Tamara Taylor- University Career Service;
- 2018-19 Recipients: Suzie Baker, Sarah Smith, Anna Lock, and Mariel Eaves;
- 2019-20 Recipients: Stephenie McIntyre; Joe Singer, Ché Wells, and Ali Ramirez;
- 2020-21 Recipients: Ashley Gray,Chris Williams, Jakelin “Jaki” Bonilla, and Rebecca Cheng.
4) Student Affairs Diversity Award
The Student Affairs Diversity Award recognizes a staff member, department, or group within Student Affairs who has demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion within their department, Student Affairs, the University community. The recipient should be someone who has advocated for the inclusion of underrepresented groups, promotes social justice, and cultivates a respectful environment for students, staff, and faculty.
- 2013-14 Recipient: Aliana Harrison;
- 2014-15 Recipient: Tunnel of Oppression, Housing and Residential Education (Sarah Rowe – Keith Jones, Angel Collie, Monica Boswell);
- 2015-16 Recipients: Hazael Andrew and Justin Inscoe, Housing and Residential Education;
- 2016-17 Recipient: Tyris Gillis, Carolina Housing;
- 2017-18 Recipient: Campus Health Transgender Healthcare Taskforce – Dr. Anne Stephens, Dr. Thevy Chai, Margaux Simon, Rachel Selinger, Carol Kozel, Michelle Camarena, Avery Cook, Kyle Alexander;
- 2018-19 Recipient: Dawna Jones;
- 2019-20 not awarded;
- 2020-2021 Recipients; Bobby Kunstman and Roderick Lewis.
5) Student Affairs Assessment Award
The Student Affairs Assessment Award recognizes a Student Affairs’ staff member or department that has gone above and beyond in advancing assessment initiatives within a department and/or across Student Affairs.
- 2013-14 Recipient: Ciji Heiser;
- 2014-15 Recipient: Department of Housing and Residential Education Assessment Committee (Ciji Heiser, Josh Ferrari, Jack Vitaliz, Sarah Rowe, Krista Prince, Debbi Bousquet);
- 2015-16 Recipient: Campus Recreation Assessment & Student Development Joint Committee: (Tori Hooker, Lauren Mangili, Liz Walz, Dave Yeargan, Jason Halsey, Reggie Hinton, and Justin Ford);
- 2016-17 Recipient: Hazael Andrew, Lakethia Jeffries, and Ciji Heiser, Carolina Housing;
- 2017-18 Recipient: Carol Kozel;
- 2018-19 Recipient: New Student and Family Programs;
- 2019-20 Recipient: Nadia Korobova;
- 2020-21 Recipient: Student Wellness.
6.) Excellence in Action Award
The Excellence in Action Award recognizes a Student Affairs’ staff member or department who has gone above and beyond in advancing the Excellence in Action initiative within a department and/or across Student Affairs. Nominations should be based on the following criteria:
Implemented or supported an initiative and/or activity that promoted Excellence in Action within a department, Student Affairs and beyond
- 2013-14 Recipient: Office of the Dean of Students;2014-15 Recipient: No award given;
- 2015-16 Recipient: Excellence in Action Involvement Fair Planning Committee (Amy Gauthier (Chair), Laura Ketola, Hazael Andrew, Megan Johnson, and Kate Kryder;
- 2016-17 Not awarded;
- 2017-18 Recipient: Lee Roberts;
- 2018-19 Recipient: University Career Services;
- 2019-20 Recipient: "Coop" Roberts-Cooper;
- 2020-21 Retired
6) Fresh Impact Award
The new Fresh Impact Award recognizes a staff member who joined UNC Student Affairs within the past 1 to 3 years and has positively influenced the department with new ideas and perspectives. Nominations should be based on the following criteria.
- 2020-21 Recipient: Jordin Lewis-Martinez, Student Conduct
7) Fresh Impact Award
The new Leadership Award recognizes a non-SALT individual nominated by a group of staff who have been positively impacted by their Manager/Supervisor. Nominations should be based on the following criteria.
- 2020-21 Recipient: Kyle Tamminga, MD