HR & Finance FAQ


How do I submit P-Card receipts into the Bank of America WORKS tool?

The end user attaches the P-Card receipt to the RASR form to submit transactions. The Accountholder and/or Proxy Reconciler uploads the receipt (RASR ID is referenced in field of justification) into the Bank Of America WORKS. Please verify other requirements with your specific Hub. Exception: Please contact the Campus Health Business Hub main page for instruction on processing P-Card charges for their department.

Can others beside the P-Card Accountholder submit receipts and forms into the WORKS system?

The Student Affairs Hub staff upload the receipt into the WORKS system except the Campus Health Hub. The RASR ID should be referenced in the Justification Field. Exception: Please contact the Campus Health Business Hub main page for instruction on processing P-Card charges for their department.

What happens if my transaction does not show up in the WORKS system?

Charges on the University P-Cards may take up to 3 days to appear in the WORKS system after shipment or purchase.

Can I pay registration on a P-Card?

Yes. The University permits and prefers the registration fees be charged on a P-Card.


What is the process of submitting an ePro order?

The first step is to obtain the ConnectCarolina Vendor Catalog access through your Business Hub manager. You then can create your profile and submit the ePro order by completing the ePro Requisition in ConnectCarolina.

Purchase Orders

When do I need to use a purchase order?

Three criteria determine if a purchase order needs to be generated. If the amount of purchase is over $5,000, if a Contract has been initiated and if a deposit is required for the services requested. If any of these items apply, please contact your Business Hub for further assistance


What backup is required for a voucher?

In order to issue payment, an itemized receipt or invoice is required. If you are in need of a reimbursement for an out of pocket expense, the receipt must show the payment. For example, a receipt will often show “VISA xxxx1234 $20.00” at the bottom. For the Housing, OVC, and Union Hubs, a RASR Request with a detailed purpose or description is also required with staff authorization. A RASR request is not required for the Campus Health Hub, however the purpose or description must be included on the submission.

How soon will I be reimbursed for an out of pocket expense?

University purchases $5,000 or less preferred payment method is ePro or P-Card. In general, you can expect to receive the reimbursement up to 2 weeks after submitting the required paperwork with all necessary details. (Please see requirements above.) Employee reimbursements are paid via direct deposit to the same bank account that is used for the employee’s paycheck. You will receive an automated email notification when the funds are sent to your bank account by UNC. Depending on your bank’s processing time, it may be an additional 1-2 days after the email before you see the funds in your account.


I want to attend a conference. What are the steps I need to take?

The first step is to email your supervisor with estimate cost and request approval to attend. Once it's approved, complete Pre-Travel Authorization RASR form and Pay Registration Fee with P-Card.

I have been approved for Travel, how do I book my airfare?

The first step is to complete CABS RASR form and attach supporting documentation. Next is to booking airfare by contacting Maupin Travel, the University-approved travel agent or coordinate with your appropriate Administrative Support. Maupin will assist you in selecting your flight and provide you with an itinerary by email. That email should be attached to CABS RASR so that a travel approval may be initiated and a transaction number created. Your business hub will provide your transaction number. Once the transaction number is received at Maupin, your flight will be booked and you will receive an electronic ticket via email.

How do I book a hotel room?

You will call the hotel directly and book your room reservation. A credit card is typically required to hold the reservation which often results in a charge hold being placed on the card. A Pcard may not be used for this purpose. A personal credit card or a Diner’s Club card from University Travel Services can be used for the reservation hold.

May I stay at an AIRBNB instead of a hotel?

Yes. The University recognizes the significant cost savings associated with staying at Third-Party Lodging establishments and as such, has adopted Finance Policy 1305. Prior to travel, the Non-Hotel Authorization Request must be approved.

How do I pay for my travel expenses?

Only conference registration can be paid on a University P-Card. You will submit a completed Post Travel RASR form to your Business Hub for meal per diem, airfare, hotel, transportation and other travel related expenses.

Can another department pay for a portion of my travel reimbursement expense?

Another department may pay for a traveler’s expense as long as the home department approves the travel. When completing the Post Travel RASR form, please note the other department’s PeopleSoft information and the funds they are responsible for paying in the Notes section on the form. Your Business Hub will process the reimbursement request.

How do I calculate the mileage reimbursement?

Travel Policy 1310 Transportation Expenses. University travelers are obligated to use a State-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract.

  • When such vehicle is not available, and/or a personal vehicle must be used, the allowable business standard mileage rate is 58 cents per mile for trips that do not exceed 100 miles.
  • For business travel trips that utilize personal vehicles and exceed 100 miles per trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at 33 cents per mile. If it is more than 100 miles, the reimbursement rate drops to the 33-cent rate for the entire trip.
  • Under 2019 guidelines, the first 100 miles of a trip are not eligible for the 58 cent rate, unless the entire trip does not exceed 100 miles.

Independent Contractors

How do I know if my vendor is an Independent Contractor?

Independent Contractors are individuals who perform services. These include speakers, musical performers, writers and other services where there are no tangible goods delivered. The best way to know who qualifies as I/C is whether the vendor is an individual and not affiliated with a corporation, partnership or other entity. Please contact your Business Hub for clarification on determining the vendor as an I/C.

What documentation is required to establish an I/C agreement?

For purchases over $10K, the forms needed are: Form 708.1.2f Independent Contractor Services Agreement, Form 708.1.1f IC Determination Checklist, Form 708.1.3f Waiver of Competition (if required), Background Check Request Form (if required), ACH Deposit information and the W-9 form. Here is the full procedure on paying an independent contractor.

I used an I/C last year and I want to hire them again this year. Must I submit all new documents?

Independent Contractors must submit the required I/C documents, detailed above, annually including W-9s with a current date and signature included.

How do you determine when an Independent Contractor needs a background check?

When completing the IC Determination Checklist, pay particular attention to the box on Page 3 - Description of Specific Services to be provided. This box determines the need for a background check. If the scope of work is such that no background check is required, compose a sentence following your description of services that indicates that the IC will have no access to sensitive populations, sensitive information nor that the engagement will not place the IC on campus for more than ten days.

How to process payment of $5,000 or less to a speaker for only one day lecture within a calendar year?

The One-Day Speaker Checklist and W-9 is required. Read more about the new one-day speaker form.


I have an item to deposit. What do I do?

Donation or gift are required to be processed through the Student Affairs Development Office.  Please contact Student Affairs Development when these types of funds are received.

For payment received in person, a receipt should be provided to the payer.  All checks should be restrictively endorsed to UNC Chapel Hill.  All items for deposit should be submitted in RASR. The cash and checks should be taken to your Business Services Hub for processing each business day. Read the full procedure on receipting funds.

What is the timeline for making deposits?

All deposits should be brought to your Business Hub no later than the next business day.

State Statute § 159-32.  Daily deposits. Except as otherwise provided by law, all taxes and other moneys collected or received by an officer or employee of a local government or public authority shall be deposited in accordance with this section. Each officer and employee of a local government or public authority whose duty it is to collect or receive any taxes or other moneys shall, on a daily basis, deposit or submit to a properly licensed and recognized cash collection service all collections and receipts. However, if the governing board gives its approval, deposits or submissions to a properly licensed and recognized cash collection service shall be required only when the moneys on hand amount to five hundred dollars ($500.00) or greater. Until deposited or officially submitted to a properly licensed and recognized cash collection service, all moneys must be maintained in a secure location. All deposits shall be made with the finance officer or in an official depository.

What is my responsibility if I accept credit card payments for my department?

On an annual basis, all employees involved in the credit card environment must complete the Payment Card Industry (PCI) training and ITS Security Awareness training. In addition to these mandatory trainings, additional requirements will vary depending on the method by which you accept credit cards (TouchNet, point of sale machines, etc). Full details can be reviewed at the policy on merchant card services page.

Settlements should be done at the close of business day.


What is RASR? Where is RASR?

RASR stands for Rapid Admin Service Request and is used for processing of all types of transactions.

You use the RASR to submit, review/approve, and request all Student Affairs transactions including Deposit, Travel, P-Card, Journal, Vouchers, PO Requisition, ePro and CBM.

Access RASR Portal (Onyen required).

What approvals are required in RASR?

Manager approval is required in RASR for Voucher, ICs, PO Requsition, Travel and ePro. Manager routing for a form is determined by the routing department on each form. Approvers will receive an email notification when approval is required.

How do I set up a favorite CFS?

If you know the Chartfield information you use frequently, you can save it as favorite in RASR.

To save a Chartfield string:  1. Select Preference at the Top of the Screen   2. Select Chartifeld Preferences + Button 3. Name your saved CFS.


How do I obtain Finance access?

For a Student Affairs member to obtain access to financial functions in ConnectCarolina, including but not limited to ePRO or P-Card, you will complete the Finance Access Form located at Finance Access Form.  After completing the form, you will need to submit to your manager who will forward to your Business Hub Lead.

Visit the Connect Carolina User Information Training page to Register and review course descriptions.

How Do I obtain Student Information Access?

For a Student Affairs member to obtain access to the Student Information functions in ConnectCarolina, including, but not limited to creating PIDs, student class schedules, GradStar and the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP), you will need to complete the Student Admin Access Form.

After completing the form, you will need to obtain the appropriate signature from your Department Director and forward to your Business Hub Lead.

How do I obtain University Purchasing card (P-CARD) access?

For Student Affairs staff members to obtain a P-card, you must first complete the P-card application packet. Once you have completed the p-card application, you will need to complete Finance Access Form. After completing the form, you will submit the information to your Business Hub for further processing.

Can I complete one form for Finance, HR and Student Information access?

Each system requires its own Access Request form. HR Access and some financial access is restricted to the Business and HR Hubs. Please reach out to your Business Hub lead for further assistance.

Do I need to complete training prior to obtain access?

Yes, some systems access requires training. To gain access to ConnectCarolina you must agree to the Terms of Policy and successfully complete training required prior to submitting a request for access (not all systems require training). Please refer to the Access Roles page to see if training is required for access.

How is access revoked or changed?

To revoke or change access, you must complete the Access Request Form, obtain the appropriate signatures and forward to your Business Hub Lead for review. When a staff member is leaving the organization, their manager is required to submit a revoke access request in the same manner they submitted for the staff member to gain access.

Sharing and printing options: